WHO Ministerial Summit on Health Research
The World Health Organization will be convening, together with the Government of Mexico,
a Ministerial Summit on Health Research from November 16-20, 2004 in Mexico City.
The Summit intends to answer the overriding question: What research is needed to
reach the healthrelated Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015? Specific
objectives of the Summit are to:
Friday, November 19, 2004. Event hosted by CPTech.
A New Trade Framework For Health Research And Development.
- Identify mechanisms by which research can more effectively inform the policy-making process for health and healthcare;
- Develop a priority agenda for research on health systems issues that currently represent the primary constraints to the achievement of the MDGs;
- Acknowledge the imperative for health research systems to go beyond the generation of information, recognizing the complementary importance of access to knowledge and its utilization;
- Endorse specific global collaborative efforts in research that will be characterized as global public goods and improve the accessibility of scientific information by developing countries;
- Galvanize efforts to increase investment for a new and innovative approach to research on health systems.
World Health Organization Documents
- November 18, 2004. Report by Richard Laing and Warren kaplan.
Priority Medicines for Europe and the World.
- November 27, 2004. Fiona Fleck for the British Medical Journal.
Drug industry is not tackling threats to public health, says WHO.
- November 21, 2004. Miami Herald.
Summit: Research key to progress
- November 18, 2004. Associated Press.
Health meeting targets the poor.
- November 18, 2004. UN News Centre.
UN health agency seeks to close gaps in pharmaceutical research and innovation.
- November 18, 2004. Michael O'Boyle for the Miami Herald.
WHO calls for better research.
- November 17, 2004. Mark Stevenson for the Associated Press.
Officials Talk Diseases at Health Summit.
- November 17, 2004. Lorraine Orlandi for Reuters.
World Health Leaders Call for New Research Goals.
- November 15, 2004. David Dickson for SciDev.net.
Health systems: orphan of research.
- November 15, 2004. Michael O' Boyle for the The Herald.
Health conference tackles '10/90 gap.'