Open Develpment Models for Medical and Scientific Research
Open Models for Publishing
H.R. 2613 - Public Access to Science Act
NIH Roadmap: Accelerating Medical Discovery to Improve Health
- February 3, 2005. NIH press release.
NIH Calls on Scientists to Speed Public Release of Research Publications
Online Archive Will Make Articles Accessible to the Public.
- September 29, 2004. Sharon Begley for the Wall Street Journal.
Anxious for Cures, Grant Givers Turn More Demanding -
To Speed Discovery Process, Scientists Must Share Data As Condition for
Funding - An Ex-CEO Tackles His Illness.
- August, 2004. Stephen M. Maurer, Arti Rai, and Andrej Sali.
Finding Cures for Tropical Diseases: Is Open Source an Answer?
- December 15, 2003.
South Centre Bulletin #70. This is the first of two issues of the South Bulletin
to focus on open access to information.
- November 15, 2004. Cora Daniels for Fortune Magazine.
The Man Who Changed Medicine.
- November 14, 2004, Eduardo Porter for the New York Times.
Do New Drugs Always Have to Cost So Much?
- July 12, 2004. Op-ed by Robert Shapiro for the International Herald Tribune.
Patents are part of the solution, not the problem.
- June 23, 2004. Working Paper by Aidan Hollis, University of Calgary.
An Efficient Reward System for Pharmaceutical Innovation.
- June 12, 2004. The Economist.
An Open-Source Shot In the Arm?
- March 1, 2004. Malcolm Wheatley for CIO Magazine.
The Myths of Open Source.
- December 10, 2003. National Human Genome Research Institute (part of NIH).
Chimp Genome Assembled by Sequencing Centers.
- December 1, 2002. Anna Salleh for the Australian Broadcasting Company.
Push to free up biotech tools for all.
- October 24, 2003. Mark Ingebretsen for the Wall Street Journal.
Open-Source Model Challenges Traditional Biomedical Research.
- September/October 2003. Kenneth Neil Cukier. Acumen Journal of Life Sciences, Volume I, Issue 3.
Open Source Biotech: Can a non-proprietary approach to intellectual
property work in the life sciences?
- September 19, 2003. David Dickson for the Science and Development Network.
Cancún's failure raises need for collaborative science.
- June 19, 2003. Representative Kucinich in the Nation.
The Case for Public Patents.