January 28, 2007. US PTO & Philippines IP Office sign Memorandum of Understanding on intellectual property.
Selected CPTech Documents
Philippines Passes Legislation to Amending the IP Code to Incorporate TRIPS flexibilities
On February 21, 2007, the Philippines passed Medicines Bill, amending the IP Code to incorporate
the Doha & TRIPS flexibilities to promote public health and access to medicines.
Pfizer Seeks to Block Norvasc Early Registration
- Litigation Documents
- August 23, 2006 Text of the Settlement Order page 1.
- August 23, 2006 Text of the Settlement Order page 2.
- March 1, 2006 Text of the Complaint in Pfizer's Lawsuit.
- February 9, 2006. Agnes Devanadera, Government Corporate Council, Philippines Department
of Justice. Letter to Law Offices of Esguerra and Blanco,
the Firm Representing Pfizer.
- September 26, 2005. Victoria Magcase, VP Countertrade and Corporate Affairs for
the Philippine International Trading Corporation (PITC).
Letter to Millette Asuncion, Legal Director of Pfizer.
- CPTech Documents
- August 31, 2006.
CPTech Analysis of the Settlement Order.
- May 23, 2006.
CPTech Statement of Support to the Quality Medicines at Affordable Prices Alliance.
Open letter from Stanford students, alumnae, staff and professors to the University President John L. Hennessy,
requesting a public inquiry on the appropriateness of Pfizer CEO Henry McKinnell membership to the University Graduate School of Business Advisory Council.
Signatures collected until May 15, 2006.
- May 10, 2006. Judit Rius Sanjuan, staff attorney for CPTech.
- April 29, 2006. James Love in the Huffington Post.
Hank McKinnell Asks for Internal Review of Pfizer's Philippines Lawsuit.
- April 3, 2006. Judit Rius Sanjuan
Letter to Henry A. McKinnell, CEO of Pfizer.
- April 1, 2006. James Love in the Huffington Post.
Terrorism, Pfizer Style.
- March 31, 2006. Judit Rius Sanjuan
Pfizer is suing Philippine’s governmental officials in their personal capacity
in order to stop parallel trade.
- Pfizer Documents
- News Stories
- December 18, 2006. Marwaan Macan-Markar for the Inter-Press Service.
Asian Govts Push Generic Drugs
- May 16, 2006. Business Mirror.
Solon Assails Pfizer for "Blackmail."
- May 15, 2006. Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- May 12, 2006. Inside PCIP.
Ensuring access to cheap medicines and the Pfizer case.
- April 30, 2006. Tove Iren S. Gerhardsen for IP Watch.
Pfizer Fights IP Flexibilities In The Philippines.
- April 27, 2006. Andrew Leonard for Salon.
Pfizer vs. the Philippines, Round Two.
- April 16, 2006. Philippine Daily Inquirer.
Government sues US firm over patent war.
- April 15, 2006. Free Press.
For Affordable Drugs: Many Filipinos Die Not Because of
Illness But Because They Cannot Afford Medicines.
- April 11, 2006. P.T. Jyothi for the Hindu Business Line.
Pfizer worried over parallel import of Norvasc into Philippines.
- April 10, 2006. Daily Inquirer.
Unfair to Norvasc.
- April 6, 2006. Daily Tribune.
House Moves to Trim Prices of Drugs: Patent Law Faces Revision.
- April 5, 2006. Philippine Star
Ate Glue is Right About Affordable Drugs.
- April 5, 2006. Philippine Star.
Senior Citizens' Woes.
- April 5, 2006. Daily Inquirer.
The Last Gasp.
- April 4, 2006. Andrew Leonard for Salon.
Pfizer's Philippine follies.
- April 3, 2006. Asian Journal.
Why Filipinos Are Dropping Dead.
- April 3, 2006. Robert Goldberg for drugwonks.com.
Jamie Love's Terrorist Attack.
- April 3, 2006. Francis Earl A. Cueto for the Manila Times.
PITC endorses bill to lower prices of drugs in the market.
- March 30, 2006. Manilla Bulletin.
2 Solons Back PITC's Program for Cheap Drugs.
- March 27, 2006. People's Tonight.
Pfizer Hit for Bid to Stop Drug Import.
- March 25, 2006. Editorial in the Manilla Times.
- March 25, 2006. Manila Times.
PITC Bares High Cost of Medicines Produced in RP.
- March 25, 2006. People's Journal.
Pfizer Under Fire.
- March 24, 2006. Francis Earl A. Cueto.
PITC bares high cost of medicines produced in RP.
- March 22, 2006. Business Mirror.
PTIC v. Pfizer
- March 13, 2006. People's Tonight.
Senior Citizens Back Importation of Affordable Medicines.
- March 12, 2006. People's Tonight.
Public Health and National Interest Central to Pfizer Price Dispute.
- March 11, 2006. March 11, 2006. Daily Inquirer.
- March 8, 2006. Agence France Presse.
Pfizer files suit against Philippines on planned drug imports.
- February 15 2006. Daxim L. Lucas for the Inquirer.
Debate on cheaper drugs rages amid high cost of healthcare.
Legislative Amendments: incorporating Public Health Flexibilities|
Compulsory Licensing Case Law
Other Philippine Government Documents|
- April 30, 1999. The USTR press release on
its 301 list of intellectual property trade problems
provides this language:
The Philippines is also considering a proposal which would
conflict with TRIPS trademark obligations by restricting
the use of brand names on pharmaceutical products.
Disputes like this are common, as the US government has opposed
various laws promoting generic drug perscribing, labeling or
substitution in Mexico, Thailand, South Africa and elsewhere. CPT
has an outstanding request to USTR to provide justification for this
item on its 301 list.
- 1995. From the 1995 USTR 301 list is this entry:
The Philippine patent law requires that a compulsory
license be issued two years after registration with
the Patent, Trademark and Technology Transfer
Board if a patented item is not being used in the
Philippines on a commercial scale or if domestic demand
for the item is not being met to an "adequate extent
and on reasonable terms." The requirement could impose
a significant burden on patent holders. Other
concerns include exceptions for experimental use of
patented inventions, government use provisions,
"intervening rights" for reissuance of patents, and
treatment of plant varieties within the definition of
- April 6, 1993,
Understanding Between the Government of the Republic of the
Philippines and the
Government of the United States of America Regarding the
Protection and Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights.
- February 15, 2006. Daxim L. Lucas for the Inquirer.
Debate on cheaper drugs rages amid high cost of healthcare.
- March 3, 2003. Op-ed by Alvin Capino for ABS-CBN news.
'Cheap drug' program is dead.
- July 14-20, 2002. Reynaldo Lesaca Jr. for the Bulatlat.com. vol 2 no 23.
An Assessment of Pharma 50, A GMA SONA Promise.
- October 2, 2001. Bernie Cahiles-Magkilat for the manila Bulletin.
Imports seen to continue for cheap medicines.
- August 14, 2001. Inquirer News Service.
Group calls on Macapagal to lower prices of medicine.
- June 20, 2001. Health Action Information Network.
Drug Industry Remains Dominated by Foreign Companies.
- March 10, 2001. Health Action Information Network.
Progay Assails AIDS Drugs Companies.
- January 6, 2001. Health Action Information Network.
DOH Chief Hits Drug Companies.
- December 3, 2000, Edu H. Lopez, in the Manila Bulletin,
2nd batch of imported medicine due from India
- November 30, 2000, Ed Perpe op-ed, in the Manila Times,
A Cheap Shot
- November 23, 2000, Malaya, (First article),
Drug makers go to court on imports
- November 23, 2000, Courier, (Second article),
Companies want DOH Medicine Import Stopped
- November 9, 2000, Ronniel de Guzman, in the Manila Bulletin,
1st shipment of cheap drugs here
- October 23, 2000, Manolo B. Jara op-ed, in the Manila Times,
Drug prices out of whack
- September 25, 2000, Manila Bulletin,
Wider use of generic drugs urged
- November 16, 1999. Asia Letter.
Don't Want to Be a Wet Blanket, But...
- November 8, 1999, Rocky Nazareno and Stella O. Gonzales, in the
Philippine Daily Inquirer,
House to Probe Drug Firms. This provides background on the
Philippines proposals for generic drugs.