- Congressional Investigation into Price Hike
- February 6, 2004. Abbott press release.
Abbott Announces Several Initiatives to Further Enhance Patient Access,
Address Community Concerns Regarding Re-Pricing of HIV Drug, Norvir (Ritonavir).
- FDA Warning to Abbott on Misleading Price Information
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation Settles Two Lawsuits Against Abbott
On July 16, 2004, AHF and Abbott reached an agreement on two lawsuits - an antitrust
suit and a false advertising suit. Abbott agreed to fund AIDS programs for the
testing, prevention and treatment of 10,000 people in the U.S. and Africa, and there
will be no pricing change. The exact financial details were not made public.
- March 3, 2004.
Letter from 55 Doctors to DHHS Secretary Tommy Thompson and
Dr. Mark Rohrbaugh from the NIH's Office of Technology Transfer
in Support of the Norvir March-In Effort.
- Doctors Call for a Boycott of Abbott Products
- Class-Action Lawsuits Against Abbott for Antitrust Violation Related to Price Hike
- Gingreau V. Abbott Laboratories
- John Does v. Abbott Laboratories
- State Government Antitrust Investigations
- Other NGO Documents
- April 30, 2004. Intellectual Property from Brazilian Network for the People's Integration.
Letter to Abbott Laboratories.
- April 23, 2004. AIDS Treatment Activist Coalition.
Seniors, AIDS Advocates Protest Abbott Lab's Skyrocketing Drug Prices.
- April 21, 2004. HIV Outpatient Study Group.
AIDS researchers to Abbott: Norvir price increase cannot be tolerated.
- February 26, 2004.
Letter from 36 AIDS groups to Tommy Thompson.
- February 19, 2004. ACT-UP New York/ACT-UP Philadelphia.
AIDS Activists Storm Abbott Drug Manufacturing Facility -
Protestors Denounce 400% Price Hike on Key AIDS Drug.
- February 2, 2004. AIDS Healthcare Foundation press release.
State Medicaid Heads Pressed by AIDS Healthcare Foundation to Demand
Guarantees Against Loss Due to Abbott's Recent 400% Price Increase on Norvir.
- January 29, 2004. CPTech press release.
Xalatan/Norvir - DHHS Secretary Thompson asked to grant generic manufacturers
licenses to patents on government funded inventions for treatment of glaucoma and AIDS.
- December 16, 2004. AIDS Healthcare Foundation press release.
AIDS Healthcare Foundation Criticizes Abbott Labs for Five-fold Price Increase on Key AIDS Drug, Norvir.
- News Stories
- January 3, 2006. John Carreyrou for the Wall Street Journal.
Inside Abbott's Tactics To Protect AIDS Drug
- January 3, 2006. Wall Street Journal.
Excerpts from company emails regarding price hike.
- June 10, 2004. The Advocate.
Industry analysts say Norvir price hike will double profits.
- June 2, 2004. Bob Roehr for the Windy City Advocate.
Norvir Patent Under Fire at NIH Meeting.
- June 1, 2004. Brenda Sandburg for the Recorder.
The Case of the Mysterious 48-Hour Lawsuit.
- June 1, 2004. Op-ed in the L.A. Times b y James Glassman and Nick Schulz.
Activists Put Drug Research on Chopping Block.
- May 24, 2004. Robert Steyer for The Street.com.
Abbott Labs Defends Pricing Policy.
- May 24, 2004. Brian Gorman for the Motley Fool.
Abbott Labs Stirs Up Criticism.
- May 13, 2004. Leila Abbound for the Wall Street Journal.
Abbott Laboratories Faces Heat Over Raising Price of AIDS Drug.
- April 24, 2004. Francine Knowles for the Chicago Sun-Times.
Abbott CEO talks up pipeline as protesters hit price hike on AIDS drug.
- April 23, 2004. Bruce Japsen for the Chicago Tribune.
Abbott defends AIDS drug price.
- April 15, 2004. The Advocate.
Activists plan Norvir protest on April 23 in Illinois.
- April 14, 2004. Gardiner Harris for the New York Times.
Price of AIDS Drug Intensifies Debate on Legal Imports.
- April 14, 2004. Doreen Brandt for GayWired.com.
AIDS Drug Price Hike Probed By Feds.
- April 1, 2004. Violet Woodward for the Yale Daily News.
AIDS Watch petitions against drug price hikes.
- February 19, 2004. United Press International.
AIDS activists protest Abbott drug prices.
- February 18, 2004. David Scales and Sanjay Basu for the Yale Daily News.
Government Should Use Power to Make Drugs Affordable.
- February 2, 2004. Dorsey Griffith for the Sacremento Bee.
AIDS drug's price soars - Doctors are outraged by the 400% jump in the cost of the vital medicine.
- February 2, 2004. Gay Financial Network.
HIV Doctors Protest Drug Price Increase.
- January 30, 2004. The Advocate Daily News.
Nonprofit group calls for investigation into Abbott's price increase of Norvir.
- January 29, 2004. Lisa Richwine for Reuters.
Firm Seeks License for Pfizer, Abbott Drugs.
- January 16, 2004. Ryan Lee for the Washington Blade.
Critics decry escalating HIV/AIDS drug prices:
Drug companies cite research costs as driving up expenses.
- January 5, 2004. Carol M. Ostrom for the Seattle Times.
Price of AIDS drug soars fivefold.
- December 26, 2003. John James for The Body: AIDS Treatment News.
Abbott Laboratories Increases Norvir Price Fivefold.
- December 19, 2003. Vanessa Fuhrmans for the Wall Street Journal.
Abbott Lifts Price of Norvir 400% - Cost of Longtime HIV Drug Jumps,
Reigniting Debate Over Drug Pricing Policies