Patent Coverage of ARVs in Africa
IP and Healthcare
CPT Page on Africa
- CPT Table: # of
ARVs patented in each country in Sub-Saharan Africa, along with
figures on PWAs, population, and income.
- October 17, 2001. Amir Attaran and Lee Gillespie-White. Journal of the
American Medical Association Vol. 286 No.15.
Do Patents for Antiretroviral Drugs Constrain
Access to AIDS Treatment in Africa? (Also available in a
pdf format.) Also see the
Letters to the Editor in response to this study, published in the
February 20, 2002 issue.
- October 17, 2001. Joint Statement by Oxfam, Treatment Action Campaign,
Consumer Project on Technology(CPT) Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and
Patents Do Matter in Africa According to NGOs.
- October 16, 2001. CPT, Essential Action, Treatment Access Campaign, Oxfam, HealthGAP.
Comment on the Attaran/Gillespie-White and PhRMA
surveys of patents on Antiretroviral drugs in Africa.
- October 6, 2001. CPT.
Where are the sub-Saharan patents filed, in terms of population, infection rates
- October 5, 2001. CPT
HIV patients in countries with ARV patents in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- September 30, 2001. PhRMA survey.
Facts and Figures on Patenting and Access in Africa.
- March 4, 2002. Note to CPTech on
Nevirapine-Based HAART Cocktails. (According to PhRMA figures, Nevirapine
is patented in 28 african countries, including high-seroprevelence countries
like South Africa, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Kenya.)
- Cease and Desist letters from GlaxoWellcome to Cipla