CPTech's Page on Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA)
- January 28, 2004. Third Issue Meeting with the Participation of
Civil Society: Intellectual Property Rights, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
November 2003 Ministerial in Miami, and Related NGO Events
CPTech/Essential Action Documents
back to top
- January 28, 2004. CPTech's
Comments on the FTAA Intellectual Property Chapter delivered at the
Third Issue Meeting with the Participation of Civil Society on
Intellectual Property Rights, Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- February 28, 2003. CPTech's
Comments on Second Draft.
- February 28, 2003. Essential Action's
Comments on Second Draft.
- February 7, 2003. Rob Weissman. Overview of the ways in which FTAA provisions
would undermine access to medicines and links to RFC .
- November 6, 2002. Rob Weissman
Essentail Action Preliminary Analysis of New Draft FTAA Provisions on
Intellectual Property and their Implications for Access to Medicines.
- August 22, 2001. Rob Weissman.
Comments on the FTAA from Essential Information.
Also see the earlier comments submitted on
July 3, 2001.
Preliminary Assessment of FTAA Intellectual Property Proposals'
Effect on Access to Medicines.
- April 2001. Robert Weissman. Foreign Policy In Focus, Volume 6, no. 13.
Free Trade Area of the Americas.
- January 29, 2001. Letter from
James Love and Robert Weissman to the USTR's Trade Policy Staff
Committee Executive Secretary Gloria Blue
- July 29, 1998 comments to USTR on
FTAA provisions regarding Health Care and Intellectual Property
- March 1998
FTAA Position Paper submitted by CPT and Health Action International
at 1998 FTAA Business Forum Meetings in San Jose, Costa Rica.
- May 1997 paper by James Love regarding Free Trade Area of the
"Comments to the FTAA Working Group on Intellectual Property, at the Third
Trade Ministerial and Americas Business Forum" Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
back to top
- Comments on the Second Draft Consolidated Texts of the Free Trade Area of the Americas in
response to December 27, 2002 notice published in the Federal Register, 67 Fed. Reg.249.
- Comments of the American Library Association, Association of Research Libraries, American Association
of Law Libraries, Medical Library Association, and Special Libraries Association.
- January 31, 2003. Comments prepared by the FTAA Subcommittee of the International Trademark Association.
- Computer & Communications Industry Association Comments.
- January 31, 2003. The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM)comments.
- December 2002. Alianza Social Continental (ASC).
- Public Citizen's Global
Trade Watch page on the FTAA. Includes statements made by Public Citizen to the USTR.
- October 29, 2002. Human Rights Watch briefing paper.
The FTAA, Access to HIV/AIDS Treatment, and Human Rights.
- August 30, 2002. International Intellectual Property Alliance.
Executive Summary and Comments Submitted to the Americas Business Forum (VII)
Workshop on Intellectual Property Rights in Quito, Ecuador.
- August 21, 2002. Ellen R. Shaffer, Joseph E. Brenner, and Alicia
Yamin for the Center for Policy Analysis on Trade and Health.
Comments Regarding the Free Trade Area of the Americas Negotiations:
Effects on Universal Access to Health Care and Water Services.
- April 12, 2001. ACT-UP Philadelphia Press Release.
New Trade Agreement for the Americas Jeopardizes Brazil's Acclaimed Generic AIDS
- February 14, 2001. AFL-CIO.
Global Fairness and the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA)
Directory of National Authorities on Intellectual Property Rights
from a website maintained by the Organization of American States.
- US Trade Representative
page on the FTAA.
Includes a summary of the US negotiating positions and members of the negotiating team.
- Canadian proposals for
the FTAA published by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.
- The Organization of American States'
Trade Unit's page on the FTAA.
IP laws of members of the Organization of American States.
- February 5, 2004. Venezuelan Bank of External Commerce (Bancoex).
What is the Bolivarian Alternative for Latin America and the Caribbean?
- January 30, 2004. Silene Ramirez for Reuters.
Venezuela says Jan 2005 FTAA target doomed to fail.
- January 17, 2004. Janaina Figueiredo for O Globo.
BRAZIL, ARGENTINA SEEK TO EXCLUDE TRIPS, GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT IN FTAA.
- November 22, 2003. Nicholas D. Kristof for the New York Times.
Death by Dividend.
- November 18-19, 2003. Howard Knopf from Macera & Jarzyna.
Copyright and the FTAA: An Unamerican Perspective.
- September 18, 2002. Mario Osava for the Inter Press Service.
10 Million Brazilian Votes Against Hemisphere's FTAA.
- July 22, 1997
Hearing on the FTAA,
before the US Congress, House of Representatives,
Committee on Ways and Means, Subcomittee on Trade. Not
particularly helpful on the IP issues.
CPT Search Page.
Contains internal search engines for both the Consumer Project on
and the Essential Information email lists.
Questions, comments and suggestions: Mike Palmedo
email@example.com or Manon Ress firstname.lastname@example.org
back to top