Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals Into the U.S. ("Reimportation")
- April 23, 2004.
Bipartisan drug import bill fixes exhaustion and
contract barriers, runs afoul of FTAs and Hague Convention.
- April 14, 2004,
Policy Issues Concerning Parallel Trade of Pharmaceutical
Drugs in the United States,
FDA Prescription Drug Importation Meeting.
- March 31, 2004
Legal and Policy Issues Concerning Parallel Trade (aka Re-Importation) Of
Pharmaceutical Drugs in the United States
- March 30, 2004, CPTech statement to Members of Study Group on
Enforcement of Judgments, Secretary of State Advisory
Committee on Private International Law, regarding
First Sale Doctrine (parallel trade, exhaustion of intellectual
- March 3, 2004,
Comments on Maryland State Senate Bill 167.
- Page on various legislation from previous
Congresses on this topic.
Legislation to Allow Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals in the US
On January 10, 2007, Senators Dorgan and Snowe, and Representatives Jo Ann Emerson
and Rahm Emanuel introduced The Pharmaceutical Market Access and Drug Safety Act, which
would explicitly allow parallel imports of pharmaceuticals into the United States from
Canada, and a handful of other developed countries. Similar legislation was passed by
Congress last year, but was vetoed by President Bush. In respone, Canadian pharmacists
have urged their health minister to ban exports to the United States - they predicct this will
deplete the supply of drugs for Canadians.
- Government Documents
- NGO and Association Statements
- American NGOs
- Canadian Associations
- News Stories
- S. 2328 - Pharmaceutical Market Access and Drug Safety Act of 2004
- Press releases from Senators
Text of S. 2328.
- April 22, 2004. Press release from Sen. Daschle's office.
Daschle, Johnson Announce Breakthrough Bipartisan Deal on Prescription Drugs -
Senators back landmark bill that would give consumers access to lower-priced medications.
- April 21, 2004. Press release from Sen. Dorgan's office.
Dorgan and Bi-Partisan Senate Group Inveil New Prescription Drug Re-Importation Bill.
- April 21, 2004. Press release from Sen. McCain's office.
Pharmaceutical Market Access and Drug safety Act of 2004.
- April 21, 2004. Press release from Sen. Snowe's office.
Snowe Introduces Drug Reimportation Legislation Today: Joins
Sens. Dorgan, McCain, Kennedy, Daschle, Lott, Stabenow.
- April 21, 2004. Press release from Sen. Stabenow's office.
U.S. Senator Stabenow Hails Bipartisan Reimportation Legislation as a
‘Major Bipartisan Breakthrough’ to Lowering Drug Prices.
- June 14, 2004. Institute for Policy Innovation.
Sen. Dorgan’s “Get Your Drugs from Who Knows Where Act.”
- News Stories
- S. 2307 - Reliable Entry for Medicines at Everyday Discounts through Importation with Effective Safeguards Act of 2004
H.R. 2427 - Pharmaceutical Market Access Act of 2003.
Illinois Plan to Facilitate Purchase of Drugs from Canada, England and Ireland
- October 4, 2004. Op-ed by Rep. Debbie Stabenow in the Detroit Free Press.
Legalizing importation of drugs will cut prices by up to 70%.
- August 11, 2004. Associated Press.
Kerry Says Bush Is Blocking Drug Imports From Canada.
- May 4, 2004. Associated Press.
Thompson: Legalized Drug Imports 'Coming'.
- April 27, 2004. Maureen O'Donnell for the Chicago Sun Times.
Now working for drug companies, Giuliani questions imports' safety.
- April 15, 2004. Ceci Connolly for the Washington Post.
Drug-Importation Foes Speak Out -
Industry Backers Have Strong Voice At Public Session.
- March 31, 2004. Associated Press.
Eli Lilly to Fight Drug Re-Importation.
- March 31. 2004. Geoff Earle for the Hill.
Reimportation makes gains -
Sen. Gregg working on bill that starts with Canada.
- March 19, 2004. Bill Mann for the Motely Fool.
The Drug Reimportation Disaster.
- March 12, 2004. Robert Pear for the New York Times.
Senator Lott Says He Will Back Drug Imports.
- March 9, 2004. Reuters.
Medicare Pick McClellan Meets Resistance.
- March 9, 2004. Reuters.
Daschle Says McClellan Must Back Drug Imports.
- March 9, 2004. Robert Pear for the New York Times.
Medicare Nominee Backs Drug Imports.
- February 23, 2004. Roger Parloff for Fortune Magazine.
The New Drug War -
Pharmaceutical companies need profits to develop new drugs.
Patients need pills that they can afford. Their interests are
colliding at the Canadian border.
- April 22, 2003. Theresa Agovino for the Associated Press.
AstraZeneca Seeks to Limit Canada Sales.
- March 21, 2003. FDA press release.
FDA Collaborates with Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy in Enforcement
Action Against Storefront Obtaining Unapproved Drugs from Canada.