CPT's Page on
Business Method and Software Patents|
Last updated: April 18, 2001
Survey of Software and Business Methods Patents|
Software and Business Method Patents in the News|
- March 5, 2001. Interview with BountyQuest founder. Business Week Online.
- January 4, 2001. Neil McAllister. Tipping the Playing Field On the Internet, Patents Have the Weight of Gold. San Francisco Chronicle.
- January 2001. Brian Kahin. The Expansion of the Patent System: Politics and Political Economy. First Monday.
- October 6, 2000. Chris Oakes. Patent Battle Takes TV Turn. Wired.
- August 8, 2000. Richard Poynder. Internet sparks patenting controversy. IP Matters.
- August 7, 2000. Sabra Chartrand. E-Mail is Sparking Interest in Inventing Accessory Products. New York Times.
- March 31, 2000, Robert Lemos, Patents, Lawsuits, Plague the Net, ZDNet.
- March 12, 2000, James Gleick, Patently Absurd, first published in the New York Times Magazine.
- February 25, 2000, AP, Amazon patents affilate programs technology. CNET News.
- March 2001. Gregory J. Kirsch. Software Protection: Patents versus Copyrights. Gigalaw.com.
- January 27, 2000, Rob Cebollero,
Open Defensive Patents? Slashdot.org.
- December 10, 1999, Kevin G. Rivette and David Kline, Surviving a War With Patents,
- December 10, 1999, David Kline,
Net Patent Fights May Surprise, Upside.com.
- October, 1999, William Ramsey, Patenting Business Methods, Business Monthly.
- September 13, 1999, Julia King, Patent Examiners Pending,
- May 1999, John B. Moetteli, Esq., Financial Services Using
New Business Methods Enabled by Software are Now Patentable in the U.S. - with Extraterritorial Effects
This is the first draft a May 1999 article published in The Journal of World Intellectual Property Law.
- April 23, 1999. Lawrence Lessig. The Problem With Patents. The Standard.
- April, 1999, Michael Pavento, Patent Protection for E-Commerce Business Models, Jones and Askew, LLP.
- March, 1999, Alan Ruderman and Stephen J. Stark, Business and Financial Industry Patents, Miller and Martin, LLP.
- January 12, 1999, Bloomberg News, in NYT,
Court Declines to Review Ruling Seen as Software Boon
- August 10, 1998, Peter Lewis, Web Concern
Gets Patent for Electronic Business Model, New York Times.
- February 1998,
Patents for banks and financiers. From
Banking Law, February 1998 Number 105. This is
an australian publication.
"Patents are relevant not just to high technology companies.
Banks and financial institutions, as developers and users of technology,
are discovering that patents apply to their businesses too."
- Spring 1997, Elsie C. Turner,
Software Patents: Easier to Get but
Harder to Keep: A Case Commentary, The Florida Bar Computer Law
Committee Online Journal.
- 1995-1996, David McCombs,
PATENTS FOR COMPUTERIZED BUSINESS METHODS.
Committee Update No. 1,
A Publication of the ABA General Practice Session.
- July 1994, Simson L. Garfinkel, Wired,
Patently Absurd. From 2.07.